Space NK UK

Monday 20 January 2014

Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Complex: A Review


The Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms have just sneaked there way into Boots ahead of the official release on the 22nd January. I had been reading about these since November and was really keen to try them. As soon as I heard they were out I popped into Boots to take a look.

In my earlier post about these (HERE) I revealed my wish list of shades based on other bloggers reviews and swatches. So I already knew exactly what I was hunting out.

The new Matte Balm and Lacquer Balm display in Boots

When I found the Revlon stand this is what I saw. No major fanfare - just the addition of the Matte Balms and Lacquer Balms to the usual Balm Stain display. I do wonder if I had never heard of these whether I would know where to start on this display let alone even notice the new additions!

Disappointingly Boots weren't stocking the full range of Matte Balm shades in store. They only had 8 in store although they have 10 shades online (HERE). One of the two missing shades was Mischievous - which typically was the shade I was most excited about.

Two of the other shades I'd wanted to try were Audacious and Unapologetic - although on a cold January afternoon they both looked much brighter than I expected. I was also keen on the rosy pink Elusive but decided to slam the brakes on, just buy Complex (the nude one) and wait for the inevitable 3 for 2 offer in a week or two. I know - what restraint - amazing!

I must be honest when the original Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains came out, I went crazy and bought most of them (except the bright pinks). Whilst I love a lip crayon and really liked these initially I did have an odd experience with them. As the balm started to wear off I found the stain left behind was a really bright fuchsia - even in the more natural shades such as Honey. The only colour that didn't do this was Rendezvous which is the orange balm. So I must admit I rarely wore the others as fuchsia is not a lip colour I do well.

With this in mind I thought I would approach these new Revlon Matte Balms with caution to see how they wear before splurging.

Complex is the nude shade although on my winter sun-deprived skin it looks like a peachy brown. This is still a colour I love to wear. The balm has the familiar minty smell that the original Kissable Balm Stains had, although it seemed to disappear much faster than before. I loved the mint smell of the originals although I know this wasn't to everyone's taste.

Complex felt nice on the lips when I applied it and even hours later feels quite moisturising not drying. You can feel it on your lips and if you rub them together feel like you can move the product around a little, but not like it will smear or you will leave lipstick marks on everything. This part was good! I can also confirm that there is no sign of a weird bright pink stain - also good!

But... when I looked in the mirror I could see that Complex had immediately highlighted the lines and dry patches on my lips. Very strange when it felt so nice on, I waited a while to see if it would 'melt' in a little bit. Here in lies the problem, I love the colour and the feel but it does look patchy on my lips. This is so disappointing as I want to love these!

Looking patchy? Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Complex

This is a problem I often find with nude colours - so I don't blame it purely on the Matte Balm, perhaps a darker colour or the shinier Lacquer Balms would be kinder to my wintery lips. In fact the nude Lacquer Balm in store at Boots was called Ingenue and this was lovely!

I am glad I held back and played the waiting game. Whilst writing this post I have received a tweet from Revlon confirming that these will be full launched in Boots on the 22nd January WITH a 3 for 2 offer!!! This will make me more inclined to try Elusive, Mischievous and either Sultry or Audacious or what the hell venture into the Lacquer Balms too. I just cross my fingers that they won't all be out of stock. Oh dear restraint has gone...

The Revlon Matte Balms (all 10 shades) are available online at Boots HERE and the Lacquer Balms (all 10 shades) HERE.

Have you tried these? Did you find these went patchy on your lips? Did anyone else experience the weird fuchsia stain thing with the original Kissable Balm Stains - I'd love to know!

2 comments:

  1. Good review! Shame if it does come off a little patchy... Heres hoping the rest are a better formula!

    Sian
    xo

    http://sm-beautyblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I might try it with a balm underneath next time. I am so determined to make it work! Will try some other colours when the 3 for 2 kicks in!

    ReplyDelete